Let’s all face it, and sometimes we can be a little careless when it comes to our headphones. We’re running around, and sometimes our favorite pair might fall from our bag, slip off a counter, or disappear. We spend a lot of money on our wireless headphones, so we want to make sure they stay in the best possible shape. Getting a pair of wireless headphones that wrap around your neck is a great way to do that. With this type of headphone, you don’t have to worry about losing them at the gym, or one bud suddenly disappearing.
There are numerous brands out there that offer around the neck headphones as well. We looked at the top five you can purchase off of Amazon to see which ones get the job done. Take a look at five of our favorite around the neck wireless headphones.
Table of Contents
1. AfterShokz Aeropex
- EXCLUSIVE SPORT PACK - Includes Aeropex bone conduction headphones and sport belt. Unlike traditional headphones that send sound through the ear canals, our patented bone conduction technology delivers audio through the cheekbones. With nothing inside or over your ears, enjoy total awareness and comfort while you listen.
- BEST SOUND YET - Re-engineered for optimal sound delivery, Aeropex have broken the mold of bone conduction technology. Enjoy louder volume, 50% less sound leakage and wide dynamic stereo sound with PremiumPitch 2. 0+.
- LONGEST BATTERY LIFE - Enjoy 8 continuous hours of audio while you tackle your goals. Magnetic charging cables charge the headphones in 2 hours. 10 day standby time.
- IP67 RATED - Completely sweat and waterproof, Aeropex are designed for tough workouts and adventures in the most extreme weather conditions. Moisture detection alert included for safe charging. (Bluetooth headphones not suitable for swimming. )
- LIGHTEST AFTERSHOKZ TO DATE - Weighing less than 1 ounce (26g), experience unrivaled comfort for all-day listening.
The AfterShokz Aeropex is a lightweight wireless headphone that effortlessly fits around your neck. The headphones are water-resistant with an IP67 rating, excellent for workouts. They can also stand to be 1 meter underwater for around 30 minutes. These headphones are geared to a more active person. AfterShokz labels these headphones as their “lightest, highest-quality headphones yet,” and they come in the color cosmic black.
These headphones are a little different than most as well. Instead of sitting inside your ears, they sit directly in front of them, resting on your face. The company calls it a bone-conduction headphone that will deliver sound through your cheekbones. You might feel like this is weird, but it works well for people with hearing loss. The open design also allows you to hear what’s going on around you while you’re listening to music.
AfterShokz promises better sound with their Aeropex headphones. They come with a new angled transducer that helps you correctly place the headphones on your cheeks. This will allow you to get a better sound bass and sound without vibration at a higher volume. The mid-range is excellent, and the headphones come with a noise-reduction technology that helps amplify the sound even more.
The headphones also come with a PremiumPitch 2.0+, which helps preserve the sound and produce better audio quality, giving you less vibration and less sound leakage. When it comes to wireless headphones, you can find another pair that has a better sound quality if you love a punchy bass then these are not the headphones for you.
The AfterShokz Aeropex only comes in the color cosmic black. The band that wraps around your neck is small and thin, giving you a lightweight feel. The headphones contain a magnet, so when you’re not wearing them, the two ear sections come together. The earbud part that sits on the outside of your head is small and lightweight, which won’t bug you after a long period of wearing them.
The IP67 waterproof rating makes them great for swimmers and athletes. The headphones also have a moisture detected alert. If the headphones are wet and plugged into a charger, they will alert you to remove them from the charger to avoid damage.
The waterproof design is nice, and the fact that they come with a dual noise-canceling mic is fantastic. The battery life lasts for 8 hours with playback, and it takes around 1.5 hours to charge them fully. They do come with a quick charge feature that allows you to get an additional hour of playback with a 15-minute charge.
The open fit design is also fresh, and the price tag is affordable. If you need a pair of headphones to get you through a workout, these are a great option. If you’re looking for something a little more higher-end, then look somewhere else.
2. Bose Soundsport Wireless Headphones
- A high quality audio experience, consistently balanced at any volume, thanks to Bose active EQ. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Wireless convenience, with easy Bluetooth and NFC pairing aided by voice prompts
- Exclusive Stay Hear and tips keep the headphones comfortably in place during workouts
- Sweat and weather resistance for reliability while exercising
- Up to 6 hours battery life per charge. Please refer the User Guide before use
We’ve talked about the Bose Soundsport before and for good reasons. These headphones are water-resistant and very comfortable to wear. The neckband on these headphones isn’t large or bulky, so it gives a comfortable fit when you wear them for a while. The thin wire around your neck allows you to have a better fit but still the benefit of taking your earbuds out and having them hang around your neck.
The headphones come with the Bose Connect App. This apps lets you personalize your headphones and make them you’re own. You can specify specific attributes of your headphones that will overall make them better for you to use. The app also lets you see your heart rate, phone call length, and battery usage.
When it comes to most around the neck headphones, Bose offers an excellent sound. The headphones have a constant balance with sound, and they are a pleasure when it comes to sound. The bass is punchy, and the mids are high.
The headphones are not noise-isolating, so that could be a deal-breaker for you. The app will allow you to customize your sound, as well. So if there is something a little off about your sound, check the app out and make it better for you.
The headphones have a great design. Since there isn’t that wide neckband, it has a light-weight feel to it. They will sit comfortably around your neck when you’re not listening to music as well. There is a small button to one side of the headphones that allows you to control the sound and voice controls as well.
The earbuds are small and fit well in almost anyone’s ears. The design also allows the headphones to stay in place when you’re moving around. So if you’re at the gym, they won’t pop out of your ears during a run.
The battery life is around 6 hours with these headphones. Some around the neck headphones have a better battery life, but that is due to the large neckband. You’re also able to use these headphones to make phone calls, which is excellent for anyone on the go. The price for these headphones isn’t too expensive, but they are in the move luxury zone, sitting at $130.
3. Sennheiser HD-1 In-Ear Wireless Headphones
- Ergonomic around the neck design features soft stitched sheepskin nappa leather neckband offering all day listening comfort.Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Bluetooth 4.1 with AAC codec support and Apt X compatibility provides exepctional sound quality via crystal clear wireless transmission
- Up to 10 hour battery life with USB charging. Charging time:Approx. 1.5 hrs .Battery time 10 hrs (A2DP/HFP)
- Supports convenient multi connection of up to 2 devices at once, with 3 way calling capability;Pick up pattern : Omni directional
- 2 year global warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer;Ear coupling : Ear Canal
Now we all know that Sennheiser knows how to make a great headphone, and the HD-1 is no exception. The headphones are equipped with Bluetooth v4.1 and have a broad wireless range. Users note that the field is excellent on the headphones, with little to know to drop out as well.
The battery life is impressive on their headphones as well. They sit around 8 hours of life, and with a 1.5-hour charge, you can get an additional two hours of playback for a total of 10 hours.
Sound is what Sennheiser knows how to do, and the HD-1 headphones reflect that. The sound is delicate, where it needs to be but also gives off a fantastic balance. The bass is sharp and punchy but never overpowering. Overall you get a fantastic robust sound with these headphones, which makes it worth the price alone.
The Sennheiser HD-1 headphones do have a slightly larger neckband but nothing too horrible. The band will fit comfortably around your neck, and two wires will help get the buds to your ears. The earbuds fit comfortably in the ear and have a secure hold when you’re walking or at the gym.
These are a full package deal. The Sennheiser HD-1 has a terrific sound, the style is cute, and it has a lightweight design. You know when you buy these headphones, you’re paying for quality, and that’s all you really need.
4. Sony WI-1000X
- Digital Noise Cancelling with Atmospheric Pressure Optimizing - perfect for flying
- Sony-Headphones Connect, APP for Android /iOS to use Smart Listening technology to control your ambient sound settings.
- Smart listening by smart auto-settings automatically adjusts ambient sound to your activity. Ambient Sound mode to hear essential sound without taking your headphones off.
- Optimized for the Google Assistant with an update. Ask it questions. Tell it do things. It's your own personal Google, always ready to help. Frequency Response (Bluetooth Communication)- 20 Hz-20,000 Hz (44.1 kHz Sampling)/20 Hz-40,000 Hz (LDAC 96 kHz Sampling, 990 kbps). Sensitivities (dB/mW)- 101 dB/mW (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on), 97 dB/mW (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
- High-quality audio with DSEE HX, S-Master HX, LDAC and aptX HD. Frequency response : 3-40000 Hz
The Sony WI-1000X is an around the neck wireless headphone that has Bluetooth technology and noise-canceling features. Sony added an Adaptive Sound Control to these headphones that lets you continuously listen to music while it adapted to the sound around you. With the help of the Bluetooth, you can stream audio at 24bit/48khZ resolution, which is pretty good.
The headphones have a built-in mic and are great for making calls when you’re out on the road. The battery life lasts around 10-hours, which is helpful for headphones like these.
The sound is one of the best features of these headphones. The bass is punchy, and there is an insightful midrange. Overall the music is well balanced, and the aptX HD Bluetooth helps give you that excellent sound you might be seeking. The Adaptive Sound Control also helps get you a great and continuous sound the entire time you’re listening to music, regardless if you’re in the office or at the gym.
For some, the neckband on these headphones might be a little too bulky. The neckband is on the thicker side and has no flexibility, which could be a bit uncomfortable for some users. The earbuds are attached by wires and fit into the ears nicely. They come with ear tips to help guarantee the best fit possible. They come in color black, which looks to be standard for most around the neck headphones.
The Sony WI-1000X is an excellent pair of headphones to own. The biggest downside to them is the bulky neckband. If you can get over that, then they have a fantastic sound, a good battery life, and overall is an excellent pair of headphones to own.
5. Skullcandy Smokin’ Buds 2 Wireless
- LIGHTWEIGHT, LOW PROFILE, AND FLEXIBLE: Unlike other bulky and stiff products on the market, this low-profile lightweight collar is made of moldable plastic that gently hugs your neck, and can be removed entirely if you prefer. Use the notches in the collar or the provided "S" clip to adjust for the perfect fit or keep cables secure in place.
- SUPREME SOUND: Experience attacking bass, crisp vocals and precision highs, so you can hear your music with the highest quality possible.
- DESIGNED TO FIT NATURAL EAR SHAPE: No ear canal is a perfect circle, so why should your buds be? The Smokin' Buds 2 feature an angled and oval-shaped nozzle that aligns better with the natural shape of the ear, improving comfort and noise isolation.
- ONBOARD MIC AND REMOTE: Take calls and navigate your playlists with the easily located microphone and remote just under the left earbud. Use the plus and minus buttons to adjust volume or switch up music tracks. Press the middle button to answer/end calls or play/pause music.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY: Enjoy the comfort and sound of your Bluetooth wireless earbuds for a full 6 hours, without having to worry about recharging. Carefree listening is yours wherever you choose to take your soundtrack. Plus, the battery fully recharges in just 2.5 hours.
Skullcandy has been around for a while, and they’re known as one of the better, affordable brands of headphones. If you want to keep the price of your headphones low, look for the Skullcandy Smokin’ Buds 2. The headphones look more expensive than they are and have a lot of useful features. They are not Bluetooth capable and don’t have a quick charge option, but you give those luxuries up when looking for something a little more affordable.
The battery life is between 6-7 hours, which is fantastic, especially since it doesn’t have a quick charge option. The headphones are also lightweight and fit comfortably.
Skullcandy is known for having excellent sound with their headphones. The bass is good, and the mids are high. There isn’t anything to complain about when it comes to music.
One great thing about Skullcandy is the variety of colors you can get their products in. So if color is your thing, you’ll be happy with the options that Skullcandy gives you. The neckband is thin and lightweight, offering a comfortable fit for an extended period of time. The earbuds connect via a small wire, and there is a small control section on one side of the headphones for volume and track playing.
Overall if you’re sticking within a budget and don’t want to spend an arm and leg on headphones, the Skullcandy Smokin’ Buds 2 is worth it. Sure, they don’t come with more luxury items like Bluetooth or water resistance, but they get the job done when it needs to be done.They also come with a mic, which for $30 is great because you can still make calls when you’re out and about.
There you have it. Those are five of our favorite around the neck wireless headphones. Some of these headphones can cost you a little bit more money, but they come with amazing features like noise-canceling. Others are on the budget-friendly side and just get the job done when you need it to. Which of these headphones is your favorite?