The accessory industry is rumored to be worth $216 billion and that is because, today, we absolutely cannot do without technology. If we have a phone, then an accessory like a pair of headphones (wired) always comes as a standard accessory as a part of the entire package. Then there are wireless headphones and headsets that prove to be a great option over the wired ones. So wired vs wireless headphones, which one to choose?
The truth is, any good quality headphone would last for years if you take good care of it. So, whether one wants to use a good wired headphone or a wireless Bluetooth pair – really depends on the choice of the user. To have a wireless headphone might be a matter of style for some; and some others might be attracted to its attributes or the technology used, or simply because someone does not like their headsets to get tangled.
Today we look at the key differentiators between a wired and wireless and why people choose one over the other.
Table of Contents
Starting with the obvious, comfort is the major factor for owning a wireless headphone over a wired one. Imagine working at home in the kitchen or having an explosive session in the gym with your wired headset in your ears. Each time you bend, move or lift something, there is always the distraction of the wire getting caught in between your work. At the same time if you have a wireless headphone like Bose QuietComfort 35, placing the music device or phone at a distance will suffice. And you can just wear the headset and carry on your work without any botheration.
- Three levels of world-class noise cancellation for better listening experience in any environment
- Alexa-enabled for voice access to music, information, and more. USB cable:30.5 cm
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system for clear sound and voice pick-up
- Hassle-free Bluetooth pairing, personalized settings, access to future updates, and more through the Bose connect app
- Enabled with Bose AR - an innovative, audio-only version of augmented reality - Through a firmware update via the Bose connect app.
Increase in mobility and pairing factors keep wireless headsets ahead of their wired counterparts. For instance, the LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 has the capability to pair with two devices of different operating systems simultaneously. This means that two different users can listen to audio (good for students for listening to audio notes or webcasts) at the same time. Wired headphones however do not allow for this option and therefore, wireless headphones have an advantage over them.
- Smooth-Contoured Design with Anodized Brushed Aluminum Alloy Trim - Sleek, ergonomic curves provide a premium feel.
- Hi-Fi Sound - Qualcomm aptX HD for 24-bit music support. Harman Kardon Platinum Sound - Refined, full-bodied sound with rich bass.
- Balanced Armature Speaker Unit - Optimally tuned sound that picks up every detail.
- Dual MEMS Microphones - Maintain exceptionally clear voice calls with an advanced noise cancellation solution.
- In the box: Bluetooth Headset, Micro USB Charging Cable (AC Adapter Head Not Included), Extra Ear Gels (Small and Large), Product Documents(User Manual, Quick Start Guide, & Warranty Card)
- Supreme sound: Hesh 2 Wireless features Supreme Sound technology, producing attacking, powerful bass, warm, natural vocals and precision highs.
- All-day comfort, everyday strength: Soft synthetic leather ear cushions provide endless comfrot for your longest playlists. The flexible headband features a metal understructure that can withstand the punishment of everyday use.
- Long battery life: The rechargeable battery provides up to 15 hours of music when fully charged. Behind the left ear cup is a micro USB port for charging. An LED indicator will blink red when the battery is at 10%. Fully recharges in just 2.5 hours.
- Wireless pairing and control: Stream your music from any Bluetooth enabled devise. On-board plus and minus buttongs let you adjust volume and choose songs. Answer and place calls on hold with the round power button.
- Back-up aux cable: If you've transcended the need to sleep and your 15-hour battery needs charging, just plug in the included AUX cord with microphone and remote and never miss a beat.
Getting into the technical features, next in line is the question of audio quality. It has been a debate amongst audiophiles since the dawn of wireless headphones â€“ that wired headphones had a great advantage over wireless counterparts. This was true until recently technology has shown a considerable amount of progress and has gotten rid of latency issues in wireless headphones. Though there is still a chance that wireless headphones may sound different from the wired ones for the same model, the difference is negligible. Therefore, manufacturers like SkullcandyHesh 2 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear HeadphonesÂ have come up options of wired and wireless in the same model itself by providing an option of an audio jack for a wireless headphone if the headset runs out of battery.
Technically, the difference is because Bluetooth headphones generally support a maximum of 768 kbps while standard wired headphones can handle up to 2,304 kbps depending on the output ratio and signal transmission strength of the device. Hence a wired headphone has an upper hand in delivering a good quality audio. To bridge the gap, brands have come up with headphones that play the songs at a good audio output, like for instance Qualcomm has come up withÂ AptX technology which is a high-grade transmitter and receiver with an advanced codec support thatÂ reduces the loss to a great extent when it comes to wireless audio transfer.
This is one area that must be looked into when purchasing a wireless headset. Many headsets like Powerbeats3 Wireless In-Ear Headphones are compatible with one single operating platform, i.e. â€“Android or iOS. This makes it inconvenient for users to use a single headphone universally with all smart phones. Therefore looking for a compatible headphone that supports major operating systems can ensure a universal usage and better value for money.
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless Connect via Class 1 Bluetooth with your device for wireless workout freedom
- Up to 12 hours of battery life to power through multiple workouts. Take calls, control your music, and activate Siri with RemoteTalk
- With Fast Fuel, a 5-minute charge gives you 1 hour of playback when battery is low
- Sweat and water resistance to handle tough training. Flexible, secure-fit earhooks maximize comfort and stability
- What's in the box: Powerbeats3 Wireless earphones, eartips with four (4) size options, carrying case, universal USB charging cable (USB-A to USB Micro-B, Quick Start Guide, warranty card
This comes as one of the major differentiators between the wired and wireless headphone. Branded products always carry a higher price tag but at the same time, extra features like incorporating codec technology or supporting different OS will carry a higher price. Therefore, many users would go for a cheaper, branded, wired headphone than a wireless one.
Being near a device within a certain range is necessary for a Bluetooth or wireless device. Good quality headphones can work through obstacles and sometimes through walls also. However, maintaining a specified range is absolutely important for a clear audio delivery in case of a wireless accessory; and this too changes with the type of wireless technology – like radio frequency headphone or Bluetooth ones.
The final word
So the final question still remains â€“ which is better between Wired vs Wireless heaphones?
Deciding between wired and wireless headphones can be a challenge, and the final decision depends entirely on the user. Depending on lifestyle and requirements, your choice in headphones will vary; other factors being budget, style preferences and technological offerings. Athletes, sportsmen or people who want a bit of freedom while due to their profession, always lean towards wireless options while commuters and daily office goers choose a cheaper wired option.
Accessories have come a very long way and is now incorporated with smart features. With changing times, these accessories are going to see a very drastic change and improvement in quality. The best way to choose from the sea of headphones solely depends on your needs. And the above factors will help you in deciding the right headphones for your use.
If you have already decided to go with wireless headphones, the next thing that will pop up in your mind is, are they safe to use? Read this blog to find out.