Today, even as a grown-up (and an avid gamer who likes to play Battlefield 1), I own a Sony PS4 and the fervor for playing games has become an annoyance to my folks when they tolerate me with sounds of digital gunfire and rattling booms throughout the house. For me, it’s a matter of pride as I am a gamer and I come with the genes to go on playing like a machine for hours.
And Sony has not left any stone unturned with the PS4 and proves to be the worthy successor to the PlayStation 3 and the best 8th generation gaming console available in the market today. Personally, I am in love with the graphics until recently I had an amazing experience with sound in my new wireless headset “the Astro A50 after a friend recommended it to me. From then on, it has been a real treat for my auditory senses along with my visual indulgence. With the right audio stimulation, every gamer can be much more involved in a game and this had led me to research some good quality wireless headsets in the market capable of providing a fascinating and complete gaming experience. Here are a few of my favorites:
Table of Contents
The great-sounding Sony PlayStation Gold Stereo Wireless Headset
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
To begin with, Sony’s PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset is the basic and entry-level headset that you can add to your gaming console at a reasonable budget. Keeping the price to quality ratio in mind, PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset provides simulated 7.1 surround sound, programmable sound profiles, cross-platform support, and a rechargeable battery. Though it is not the best wireless headset available in the market, this is definitely a device, to begin with.
The virtual surround sound headphone is simple with a delightful lining of bright blue on the inside of the headband. Though it is sturdy enough for regular use, the overall build utilizes thin, lightweight plastic, faux-leather for the headband and earcups and the hinges for folding the earcups inward are loose and noticeably weak.
During long-term gaming sessions, the earcup padding feels breathable and the around-the-ear design is comfortable to wear. Noise tends to bleed in and out of the headset so it is not recommended for loud environments. All-important sound controls like volume, mute, game audio and chat balance, surround sound toggle, and a sound profile switch are built directly into the headset.
To connect to a PS4, the set uses a USB dongle to link the headset and the console. It has a micro USB port for charging and syncing the headset not only to the console but to a PC or Mac as well and the mic feels better with the option of noise cancellation. The PC and Mac experience is incredible and it does not disappoint with the awesome sound output.
Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headsets with 7.1 surround sound
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound: Experience rich, highly positional virtual surround sound powered by revolutionary 3D audio technology
- 3D Audio: In select PS4 games that fully support 3D audio, hear and feel an amazingly rich audio experience with surround sound emanating from all directions, including above and below you
- Multi-device Compatibility: Connect wirelessly to your PS4 and personal computer. Connect to a PlayStation VR headset or mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable
- Exclusive Audio Modes: Download the companion app from PlayStation Store to tune your headset with audio modes created by developers to bring out every subtle nuance in their game
This is the amped-up version of the Sony PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset. This bad boy is packed with all the goodies that its predecessor lacked; besides the minor style change, Sony’s Platinum headsets are the first to offer 3D surround sound with 7.1 virtual surround-sound.
The headphones fold up neatly and weigh only 318.2 g, which makes it perfect for carrying around. It comes with a mix of plastic, metal, and rubber and the earpads themselves are made from a comfortable pleather material that fits snug on your head. The left ear cup houses two volume controls ”one for media, one for a chat ” an On/Off switch with two possible “on” configurations, a mute button for the mic, a micro USB port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. The right ear cup houses only a switch to turn surround sound on and off.
The ear cushions have a slight angle that helps to fit comfortably over the ears without coming in contact with the speaker making the headset comfortable to wear for long periods. With a single-player game on a PS4 with traditional stereo sound, the Platinum sounds wonderful. The headset has a perfect balance between playing music and dealing with voice work and handles directional sound very well. It can be combined with streaming movies and TV as well and comes surprisingly packed with a battery-life claim of 12 to 14-hour mark.
The PlayStation Platinum headset supports a mode called “3D Audio”, which in addition to the 7.1 surround sound manages to rip give you an authentic feel of a real-life situation and puts you into the action mode in the most realistic way. What this means is just like 3D visuals, you can now get a real feel of what it feels like to be in that situation while playing games that has great graphics and interactive features.
The Amazing Noise Cancelling HUHD Fiber-Optical 2.4 GHz Stereo Gaming Wireless Headsets
This gaming headset can be operated at a distance of 19-32ft (6-10m) meters from the transmitter. It comes with a built-in high volume lithium battery and can be used for 10 hours. Another feature of this headset is the 7.1 virtual surround sound effects and the headset can be adjusted separately to chat and background sound in real-time. The sphere design of microsize convex lens sticks to the input terminal of an optical fiber, which minimizes the distortion caused by connection error and the Optical Fiber Transmission makes the light beam highly focused reducing the reflection of a light beam and internal wall of optical fiber thereby shortening the transmission travel.
The earcups are breathable and fit nicely around the ear giving a good noise cancellation effect and make spy/war games enjoyable by bringing in the best quality sound like the rattling of digital gunfire, explosion, etc. clearly in your ear.
So if you are looking for a booming and earth-shaking experience then HUHD Fiber-Optical 2.4 GHz Stereo Gaming Wireless Headset is the one that you must be looking for. With the virtual surround sound, this gaming accessory is mind-blowing and truly detailed in audio delivery. Not to forget the comfortable pads on the headband also keeps your ears from warming up and the head from feeling any discomfort.
The Steel Series Arctis 7 Wireless Headsets Incredible Sound Quality
- Lag free 2.4 GHz wireless audio with up to 40ft/12m range and more than 24 hour battery life; Exclusive ClearCast mic delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation
- Headphone sensitivity: 98 db. S1 speaker drivers and DTS Headphone:X 7.1 surround sound on PC (stereo audio available on Mac, PS4, Xbox One, VR, Switch, and Mobile). Headphone Sensitivity 98 db. Headphone Impedance 32 Ohm. Microphone Sensitivity 38 db; Microphone Impedance 2200 Ohm
- Arctis headsets feature athletics inspired performance fabric AirWeave ear cushions and a ski goggle suspension headband for lasting comfort
- Microphone sensitivity 48 db, microphone impedance: 2200 Ohm; Arctis 7 is PC Gamer's "Best Wireless Gaming Headset of 2017"
- Headphone frequency response is 20 to 20000 hertz. Microphone frequency response is 100 to 10,000 hertz; Headphone volume control is on ear cup. Chatmix and surround sound are not available on ps4
Next is the SteelSeries Arctis 7. This premium range headset’s frame is made up of an aluminum top piece that is connected to the earcups via a plastic hinge which allows a 90-degree rotation. Earcups are coated in a soft-touch matte finish and made from a silky cloth. The headset is connected with the included USB transmitter and provides an outrageously strong signal (even with shut doors). The microphone retracts neatly into the headset when not in use and a bright red LED on the tip provides clear notification when the mic is muted.
The right ear cup has a power button and chat volume slider. There is a regular volume slider on the left ear cup with a micro USB port for charging and a port to connect a 3.5mm audio jack for mobile listening. The ear cups create a tight seal around the ears and provides a strong noise canceling effect.
As with sound quality, “the headset provides a beautiful sense of rhythm, with clear vocals standing strongly against the backing instruments and intricate detail in the game™s captivating soundtrack. Equipped with DTS Headphone:X, the headset is able to recreate a surround sound signal through the stereo drivers when using a gaming PC and the sound signature can be tweaked using the SteelSeries Engine software. Arctic 7 offers excellent high quality at a lower price point. The battery life of more than 24-hour battery life makes this headset a thing of marvel along with its beauty.
Astro A50 Wireless Headsets With Charging Base Station And Amazing Sound Quality
- Compatible with PlayStation 4, PC and Mac
- Pro Audio Quality Superior Fit & Finish
- Precision Microphone
- 5GHz Wireless Technology
- Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound
The Astro A50 Wireless headsets are one of the most expensive headsets on the market. The A50 wireless headsets come with a USB base station and connect to your PC or console and house the wireless transmitter to communicate with the headset. The build quality is excellent since the headset is constructed from tough matte plastic, and is held beautifully together with two metallic side pieces.
With a battery life of 15 hours, the Dolby Headphone 7.1 virtual audio earcups swivel 90 degrees and have a soft-touch feel to the plastic. The microphone folds away when not in use and 40mm drivers with neodymium magnets do a superb job of recreating even the subtlest of sounds into a refined and detailed audio experience.
When connected to a PC or Mac, the downloadable software allows the user to have direct control over the volume and equalizer. Not to mention the 40mm drivers does a marvelous job of recreating even the subtlest of sounds for a distinguished listening experience.
The wireless range is 30 ft. and holds strong for the majority of the time (even in adjacent rooms). It offers solid construction, a well-crafted sound signature and is comfortable to wear over long periods making it an easy choice for great sound quality and a brilliant wireless system.
Enabling the Dolby Headphone technology gives the game another dimension and sounds of gunfire has a real sense of direction even when the sound bounces off and gives you a feel of pinging from behind.
Although there are dedicated wireless headsets that make your budget explode, the above range of headset proves to be a great choice for most of the users all around the globe. Shop around a bit to find out more and take your gaming experience to the next level with authentic surround audio.
But what about Xbox One, the ultimate rival of sony play station? What are the best wireless headsets for Xbox One? Find out here.